Crime Rates and Safety Tips for Residents and Visitors
Pennsylvania, the third oldest state in the U.S. with a rich history, unveils its darker side as we delve into the ten most dangerous cities in the Keystone State for 2023. While the state may boast centuries of heritage, some areas continue to grapple with persistent issues, making headlines for all the wrong reasons.
In this comprehensive guide, we explore the riskiest locales, not the kind where jaywalking is the primary concern, but where incidents like daylight robberies, carjackings, and daily shootings earn prime-time coverage. Contrary to expectations, the chaos is distributed evenly across the state, creating a potluck of pandemonium.
Top 5 Most Dangerous Cities:
- Chester: Pennsylvania’s oldest city takes the top spot, earning the dubious honor of having the second-highest burglary rate and ranking third in violent crimes.
- McKeesport: Southeast of Pittsburgh, McKeesport claims the second position with crime rates soaring 150% higher than the national average and over 250% higher than the state average.
- Pottstown: Despite having the least violent crime per capita in the top five, Pottstown secures the third spot with the second-highest rate of rape cases in the state.
- Wilkinsburg: With the highest murder rate in the state and the third-highest burglary rate, Wilkinsburg places fourth, showcasing the challenges faced by its 15,389 residents.
- New Kensington: Perched on the Allegheny River northeast of Pittsburgh, New Kensington completes the top five, presenting a concerning 1 in 37 chance of falling victim to property crime.
Safety Tips for Residents and Visitors:
- Check-in with the Ranger’s Station: For those venturing into Pennsylvania’s wilderness, checking in with the ranger’s station ensures safety protocols and proper gear for the trek.
- Avoid Secluded Areas: Particularly in cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, never venture into poorly lit or secluded areas, especially at night.
- Limit Cash Carrying: With the prevalence of contactless payments, carrying minimal cash reduces the risk of loss in case of theft.
- Conduct Research: Before booking accommodations, research the best areas in major cities and understand neighborhoods to avoid.
- Drink Safety: When at a bar or nightclub, never leave drinks unattended and be cautious about accepting food or drinks from strangers.
Pennsylvania’s safety concerns highlight the importance of informed decision-making for both residents and visitors. While challenges persist, pockets of peace and prosperity exist, emphasizing the resilience of communities striving for a better quality of life.